Updated: Dec 15, 2019
Woohoo! You’ve been invited to a potluck. And it’s the best news if the potluck is vegan, you are vegan, or someone vegan is attending. It might be a slight pain in the neck if the potluck is non-vegan, and you are the only, or one of a few, who is vegan.
December is one of the best times to get together with friends and family, but sometimes you just don’t know what to bring. Whether you’re looking to impress your non-vegan relatives or you are just afraid of bringing a dish that no one likes. This recipe is a winner. You just can’t go wrong with it.
It’s always important that you make sure that
✅ the dishes you bring to a potluck travel well. ✅ it’s easy to refill in case it’s a highlight of the evening (always keep extra in the containers) ✅it’s still tasty if it’s slightly cold ✅it’s easy to eat (no stake knives or crab crackers needed) ✅ it looks presentable
Ladies and gentlemen, without further delay, I’m introducing you to
Vegan Hard shell tacos 🌮
As you might already have noticed, I never post a precise recipe with all the measurements on this blog. From my personal experiences, learning how to cook is a process, and, no matter how thorough the recipe is, in reality, it never comes out the way expected. You might have slightly different equipment, slightly different ingredients. The dish might come out saltier, or the servings might be out of proportions... anyways, now that I have some experience in cooking, every time I’m interested in trying something new, I search for the recipes online, and only use them as a guidance as with time you develop the sense of what’s good for you.
With the vegan tacos, you want to keep it colorful. It’s better to use hard shel tortillas as the soft shell can get soggy very fast, and it’s not so convenient to eat them at the party. Gets messy fast :) I am using Simple truth hard shell tortillas and I always go with different colors. Fun!
For the filling you might want to use.
1. . Something crunchy. I normally go with the red cabbage. It has a beautiful color and wonderful taste. But you might use lettuce, kale - whatever your heart desires!
2. Guacamole is a yummy toppings. My recipe is super easy. To make approximately a cup of guacamole, you’ll need
✅ 3 large haas avocado or 5 small ones
✅ 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
✅ two small limes
Peel avocado, remove the seed, put it in a blender, add cilantro, juice of a lime and salt to your taste. Blend till the texture is smooth.
3. My next ingredient is roasted sweet potato. Chop one large sweet potato or a yam into a small cubes. Spread on a baking sheet, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper, add nutritional yeast. Bake at 450F for 20 min. Stir as needed.
4. Another delicious topping is salsa. Finely chop tomatoes, onions, add corn, chopped kalamata olives, add olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and salt. For one cup of salsa you’ll need
✅ 4 medium tomato’s
✅ 1 large onion ✅ 1/2 canid corn ✅ 1/4 can of kalamata olives ✅ 1 lime
5. One of the most important toppings is beans. You can get 1 can of refried beans, or regular beans, beans in tomato juice. Whichever you like! Or you can cook them from scratch.
6. Dressing. For the dressing I’m using Vegenaise (Follow your heart brand) mixed with the juice of lemon and black pepper. You will need 1/2 cup of Vegenaise, the juice from one lemon and 1/4 table spoon of grounded black pepper. Mix all ingredients till the texture is smooth.
Other toppings can be hummus, roasted mushrooms or peppers. Be creative!!!!
Now it’s time to talk about the presentation. The most important thing is to keep the shells intact from the warm or wet ingredients or they might get soggy. As you can see from the pictures I only put cabbage into the shells and I arranged them around my toppings. Don’t forget to provide the spoons for each topping so that people can choose what they like.
My tacos was a highlight of the potluck. People asked me for the recipe and couldn’t stop complimenting me on how good it tasted! Be creative with your fillings!
Please, sign up to my blog and if you have any questions, I would love to answer them via email. Also, you can always follow me on Instagram @natalie_aley Let’s connect!